By Paige Smith
It can be so difficult at times to shake off the heavy weight of condemnation and guilt after we’ve done something wrong.
Have you ever found yourself like the little child hiding from their parent after eating the forbidden cookies knowing there’s no way to cover up what they’ve done?
But imagine that parent finally finding the child, covered in crumbs and chocolate stains, so grateful to have found them and wrapping them in a warm hug, continuing on never once mentioning or even thinking about that missing cookie that had originally brought so much guilt and possibly even a stomach ache to the child.
As comical and endearing as that small example is, it also serves as a beautiful parallel to our relationship with our Heavenly Father when we mess up.
We make a mistake, sometimes smaller or larger in our minds than eating a cookie before dinner, and before we know it we find ourselves convinced God is angry with us and we separate ourselves from Him, anticipating His disappointment and even rejection.
Thankfully this perception couldn’t be farther from the truth!
Like the parent in the example above, God is always longing to be with us, to wrap us in His arms and His forgiveness is always available to us, no matter how deep or dark we feel the mistake we made is.
Psalm 103:12 says that “as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed out transgressions from us”.
God never wants to condemn us, but rather redeem us and forgive us.
We have a God that delights in showing us mercy and who throws our sins into the depths of the sea of forgetfulness! He keeps no record of our wrongs and instead showers us with grace and blessings.
God knows all and sees all we do but He chooses to forget our sins when we simply confess them to Him.
Many times the hardest person to extend forgiveness to can be ourselves but when we begin to truly encounter the loving and gracious character of God we begin to feel that weight of condemnation lift.
God’s word is an amazing place to start finding out more about Him and how He truly feels about you.
Here are 7 Incredible Scriptures on Gods Forgiveness that you can experience TODAY:
- “I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more” (Isaiah 43:25)
- “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9)
- “Come now, let us settle the matter,” says the LORD. “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool” (Isaiah 1:18)
- “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!” (2 Corinthians 5:17)
- “In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace” (Ephesians 1:7)
- “As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.” (Psalm 103:12)
- “Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy” (Micah 7:18-19)
Forgiveness can be difficult to receive when we try to rationalize it, because it doesn’t make sense. There is no payment or penalty we need to undergo because Jesus has already taken on the full penalty of our sins.
So rather than punishing ourselves for what God is longing to redeem us from, let’s receive God’s open embrace and forgiveness today.
Let’s say yes to Forgiveness!
We hope this article has encouraged you to say yes to God’s forgiveness and break free from the weight of condemnation! Please share any comments or questions you have on receiving forgiveness or overcoming condemnation. We love hearing from you!